Smartphones and other portable mobile devices are becoming popular to play music. Try and name at least 7 different types of music. Which are most popular in your country? Do you download music files from the Internet? If so, do you download them to a portable device?
A. Listen to the recording and answer the questions.
“Ah, nothing like good old rhythm and blues to soothe the soul this late Wednesday night. This is Harry Williams, and I’ll be with you throughout the night here on KQ1150. Oh, and don’t forget that I’ll be giving away tickets on the hour from now until sunup for those of you who can identify this tune:
[ Jazz music ]
Call me at 693-3019 and be the seventh caller. And if you can tell me the name of that piece and the year it was recorded, you’ll enjoy the tunes of one of the best bands ever a week from this Saturday night downtown at the Silver Palace.
Now sit back, relax, and enjoy listening to KQ1150.”
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences
- soothe (verb): to relax or calm
– You should try listening to classical music to soothe your nerves. It works for me.
- sunup (noun): sunrise or the point where the sun comes up in the morning
– We’ll leave tomorrow before sunup, so please be ready.
- identify (verb): to name
– Greg can identify the names of almost all the constellations in the sky.
- tune (noun): usually, a song or musical number
– This radio station plays some really good tunes.